Workers die in Akhtar tannery drum gas accident

Pakistan
Published:  30 October, 2013

Two workers died while three others fainted due to poisonous gasses at the Akhtar Tannery at Din Gar near Lahore on October 28.

During the processing of leather at the Akhtar Tannery, a rotating wooden processing drum dislocated and fell to the ground. Worker Muhammad Saleem climbed to the top of the drum and opened it. Due to the poisonous gas, emanating from the drum, he fainted and fell in.

Four other workers, namely Jamil Ahmed, Khalid, Iqbal and Munir, went to help their colleague but they also fell into the drum. Other workers smashed the drum with hammers to get their colleagues out.

Saleem was recovered dead while Jamil, Khalid, Iqbal and Munir fainted.

Munir and Khalid were given first aid on the spot while Jamil and Iqbal were rushed to DHQ Hospital. Later, they were referred to Lahore General Hospital in a critical condition where Jamil also died.

Local media say that despite repeated incidents in the leather manufacturing sector in Kasur, there is no safety equipment available for workers and they are seldom provided with gloves and masks.

Source: Daily Dawn

comments powered by Disqus