Small fire at Tasman Leather

United States
Published:  21 October, 2014

Crews from Hartland, Maine and several surrounding towns were able to contain a fire on October 20 at the Tasman Leather Group tannery. A machine and part of the ceiling were damaged by the blaze.

The fire at the tannery was reported shortly before 3.30pm and sprinklers were deployed to contain the fire but one of the machines caught on fire, which in turn caught the ceiling on fire. The local fire chief said it was not clear why the machine caught on fire but that it appeared to be relatively minor.

All workers in the tannery when the fire broke out escaped safely and that no firefighters were injured.

The tannery experienced a gas leak on January 14, causing roads in town to be shut down for one hour while the leak was found and repaired. The facility recently converted to natural gas.

Tasman Industries purchased the tannery for $6.5 million from Prime Tanning in 2011.

comments powered by Disqus