Animal welfare has long been recognised by consumers in the purchase of meat and meat products, with quality and welfare assured labels now a regular feature of the retail environment. Interest is rising in the leather industry for similar information as consumers expand their welfare concerns to animal related products. As leather is a global commodity, there is likely to be increased attention in assuring hides/skins meet these aspirations so that manufacturers and retailers can promote these positive messages to purchasers. This presents both a challenge and opportunity for the sector to be able to offer welfare positive goods while defending industry reputation.
Dr Phil Hadley, Head of Global Supply Chain Development at the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board, UK, will address these issues and concerns at the conference on this increasingly important subject.
Other speakers and topics on the agenda include:
- Breakthrough traceability technology presented by Applied DNA Sciences.
- Kering, a world leader in luxury apparel and accessories with sport and lifestyle activities, will present its sustainability program, featuring its sports brand, PUMA.
- Advances in technology for reducing the environmental footprint of each step in the leather manufacturing process will be presented by Michael Costello of global leather chemical maker, Stahl.
- Sarah Swenson, PrimeAsia, Sustainability – Core value or marketability?
- James Bell, Sustainability lead at BLC Leather Technology Centre Ltd will deliver a presentation on Supply Chain Mapping.
We will be bringing you more information on the speaker topics in the coming weeks but make sure you register now to secure your place. Last year’s conference was sold out and we expect another full attendance this year.
The conference will take place during the afternoon of Thursday November 17, 2016, 12-5.30pm at the newly refurbished Leathersellers’ Livery Hall, The Leathersellers’ Company, 7 St Helen’s Place, Bishopsgate, in the city of London.
Delegate fees are £295 + VAT per delegate (discounts available for more than one delegate) and lunch and refreshments are included.
The event is lead sponsored by Stahl, and also sponsored by Lonza.
For more information about the conference please contact Deborah Taylor by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44(0)1604 679940.
If you are interested in sponsorship please contact Maria Wallace at email@example.com
Click here to sign up and register to attend the event.