Produits Geigy SA began production at the site with grinding, cutting and type-setting dyes in 1924 before the factory was destroyed during the Second World War. It was subsequently enlarged and modernised to incorporate new production units.

In 1970, the company changed its name to Ciba-Geigy SA and diversified into pharmaceuticals, agriculture and leather tanning, before being acquired by Novartis, Clariant and BASF in 1996, when TFL was founded.

Since then, BASF (now Sun Chemicals) and TFL have shared the same infrastructure and geographical footprint. Today, the companies are celebrating the anniversary of the site with a two-part event.

On June 7, institutional and industrial players will be invited to attend a breakfast and roundtable discussion, followed by a tour of the facilities. Meanwhile, on June 8, employees and their families will have the opportunity to visit the site and the production buildings along with a meal and activities.

Today, TFL’s Huningue plant is dedicated to the manufacture of chemical intermediates for leather processing, from the beamhouse to retanning. It employs 121 people and is the groups’ second-largest production unit, and its only site in France.